Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Get Your Fruit On
Get Your Fruit On! I love this new tagline from Tropicana. Statistics show that 7 out of 10 Americans are not getting enough fruit in their daily diets. The Dietary Guidelines encourage us to get 2 cups of fruit per day. For those who do get their fruit, many are getting it from 100% orange juice.
Children are especially susceptible to not getting enough fruit. An 8 ounce glass of 100% orange juice has:
- 2 servings of fruit
- 120% of Vitamin C
- 13% of Potassium
- 15% of Folic Acid
- No Sugar Added
- 110 Calories
Other tips to Get Your Fruit On (courtesy of Elizabeth Ward, RD):
- Add in-season fruit to your morning bowl of oats or cereal.
- Blend a smoothie using your favorite fresh or frozen fruit and a cup of OJ
- Create a breakfast trail mix by combining dried fruit, nuts, and cereal. You can also use this as a snack.
- Assemble breakfast fruit kabobs using pineapple chunks, bananas, grapes, and berries.
- Drink a glass of 100% fruit juice at breakfast.