Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Expect the Best
I am officially on the countdown to when this next baby is due. 8 weeks and counting (due Aug 31). I have a little boy on the way, ready to join my other little guy who just turned 2 a few weeks ago.
For any women out there who are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, I have a great book recommendation for you. The American Dietetic Association just came out with a new book written by Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD called Expect the Best: Your Guide to Health Eating Before, During, and After Pregnancy.
This book is a fabulous resource! Here are some of the topics you need to know about:
- How much weight should I gain (newer guidelines discussed)?
- How many more calories do I need? And is it the same throughout the whole nine months? (hint: it is not, first trimester you don't need many more but third trimester you need a lot more!)
- Do I need more iron? Calcium? Should I take a prenatal vitamin? What about Omega-3 supplements?
- Can I keep drinking coffee? How much caffeine is too much?
- Is it OK to start an exercise program when I am pregnant?
- What foods are not safe to eat when pregnant?
- If fish is good for Omega-3's, what about mercury?
This is just a sampling of the many topics covered. I learned a lot even though this is my second pregnancy AND I am a dietitian!!!
For more information or to purchase, follow this link.