Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Celebrate National PB&J Day!
Do you know what is celebrated on April 2? It’s doubtful you’ll get a day off of school or work for it, but it certainly is a fun one to celebrate! Historically this popular sandwich all started during WWII when American soldiers mixed their rations of peanut butter and jelly to make a PBJ and it became an instant classic!
Many of us grew up on PB&J sandwiches, and my kids and I still eat them quite frequently today. They are the ultimate sweet and salty comfort food I can enjoy pretty much anytime during the day – snack, lunch, dinner, or late night snack.
Are you a grape jelly or strawberry jam kind of PBJ eater? Worried about unhealthy “stuff” in your spread? Check out Welch’s natural spreads with:
- No high fructose corn syrup
- No artificial flavors
- No artificial colors
- No preservatives
- Are made with 100% North American grown fruit
How are you going to celebrate the holiday of America’s most popular sandwich? Here are some fun ways you can commemorate National PB&J Day.
- Grill it! Make a basic peanut butter and jelly sandwich and put it in a skillet until the edges are golden brown
- Use cookie cutters to make fun sandwich shapes with your kids
- Make an open faced peanut butter sandwich with a jelly smiley face
- PBJ for dinner with this PBJ Noodle Salad
- Try Graham Cracker PBJ Nachos
- Dip fresh fruit or veggies into warm PBJ dip
- Make PBJ Burritos or PBJ Fruit Pizza
- Use different Welch’s spreads http://www.welchs.com/products/natural-spreads to mix up the flavor
- Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly smoothie
No matter how you make or how you enjoy your PB&J, you can’t go wrong with this simple, healthy comfort food!