Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Boost Your Immunity
Cold and Flu season is in high gear! Are you doing everything you can do prevent getting sick?
Wash your hands regularly. I can't stress this enough. We touch our eyes and noses all day long and any germs on our hands go directly into our body. Wash your hands frequently and also use hand sanitizer when soap and water is not readily available.
Get plenty of rest. Don't let your body get run down with lack of sleep. You get an extra hour this weekend (daylight savings!) but that one extra hour isn't going to cut it for long. Aim for getting at least 7.5-8.5 hours of sleep every night to keep your immune system at it's best.
Drink plenty of fluids. Staying hydrated is a very simple way to keep up your defenses.
- Take a multivitamin/mineral supplement to ensure that you are getting everything you need each day. This does not take the place of a healthy diet, though!
- Eat nutrient dense foods. Look at foods for what good things they have in them vswhat is bad. Look for nutrient rich foods like lean meats, low fat dairy, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Vitamin C: Well known for its role in supporting the immune system. An 8 oz glass of 100% orange juice gives you 120% of your vitamin C for the day!
- Iron: Also helps boost the immune system and carries oxygen to every cell in your body. Meats, beans, and spinach are good sources. Vitamin C helps the absorption of iron.
- Antioxidants: Known to help prevent disease and protect the cells in the body. Fruits,veggies, nuts, and whole grains are all great sources of antioxidants.