Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Superfood of the Week: Health Benefits of Blueberries
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Some of the health benefits of blueberries include:
- They are the highest in antioxidants among all berries, making them great disease-fighters.
- They’re high in a particular antioxidant known as flavonoids which aid in brain function.
- They’re high in phytonutrients.
- They are high in Vitamin C.
- They’re low in calories.
- They are high in fiber and water to provide fullness.
- Blueberries are versatile—they can be used in many recipes—and delicious!
Using Blueberries in Meals
Blueberries always make the top of my grocery list must-haves due to their health benefits. And lucky for me the fun shape is always a hit with my kids! Often times I try to come up with unique ways to use blueberries so that they are kid-friendly while still meeting my taste needs. Some fun blueberry uses include:
- blueberry & banana smoothies
- whole wheat blueberry pancakes, waffles, and muffins
- fruit salad
- blueberry juice
- blueberries added to cereal and yogurt
- frozen blueberries in oatmeal (not frozen once you microwave it!)
- dried blueberries in cookies, oatmeal, cereal, and more
For a delicious recipe the whole family will enjoy try these blueberry bran muffins.
And for a more exotic way to use blueberries try this healthy chicken blueberry pasta salad.
Blueberries may be small but they are packed with vital nutrients that can aid in disease prevention and provide a stronger immune system. Add them to dishes, create new recipes or eat them as is! Any way you eat them will benefit your body.