Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Benefits of Fruit
I am on a fruit kick this week because summer is just such a great time to look for fruit. Peaches, plums, nectarines, watermelon, kiwi, cherries, they are all good!
90% of Americans do not get the recommended amount of fruit. Adults should get at least 2 cups per day and kids 1-2 cups depending on their age. For more info on exactly how much fruit you should get, check out www.mypyramid.org.
Fruit has so many benefits
- It is sweet (and therefore tasty). Instead of sugary candy, cakes, cookies, pick up a piece of fruit!
- It is convenient. You can carry a whole piece of fruit with you (apple, banana, peach, plum, etc) or keep it on your desk while working until you are ready for it. Juice is also very easy!
- It is versatile. You can throw fresh, frozen, or canned fruit into anything! Cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies. Just to name a few.
- It is nutritious! Fruit has numerous vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and fiber.
How I eat fruit:
- Sliced into greek yogurt with high fiber cereal on top
- Frozen (or fresh) mixed into smoothies
- Fresh as dessert. I have a plate or bowl of fresh fruit on the table after every meal. My husband and son love it!
- Added to desserts. I made angel food cake topped with fresh sliced nectarines and a dollop of fat free whipped topping the other night. Of course, you can do pineapple upside down cake, cherry cobbler, and the list can go on and on.
- Cookies or quick breads made with raisins, craisins, or cut up dried apricots.
- Added to cereal or oatmeal.
- Sliced onto toast. Have you ever sliced apples, bananas, or peaches on a piece of toast with almond butter (or peanut butter)? Or you can do an english muffin with a slice of cheese and fresh apple slices.
- Added to pancakes, muffins, or other tasty treats.
- Fruit salad, fruit kabobs, fruit pizza, fruit tart (couldn't you just get a fork and dig into the fruit tart pictured???)
I could go on all day. The point is, fruit tastes good and is good for you. Most people I talk to tell me they like fruit but forget about eating it. Make it a point to have some fruit several times each day!