Get advice on healthy eating, nutrition, and weight loss from expert dietitian Tara Gidus.See all posts »
Back to School Breakfast Ideas
It is Back To School time for kids all over the country and there is no better way to start the day than with a nice healthy breakfast! I know you have heard it before, but it is so true! Kids who eat breakfast tend to concentrate better and have more energy to face the day. What is ideal for breakfast? Here are some tips.
- Always have a mix of carbs, protein, and a bit of fat.
- Focus on high antioxidant fruits like berries (all are good), apples, oranges, mangoes.
- Choose whole grains whenever possible (cereal, toast, bagels, english muffins, oatmeal).
- Include omega-3 fats whenever possible. If your child doesn't want to eat fish for breakfast(!), then look for milk or other foods fortified with DHA omega-3's. DHA helps brain development.
- Sprinkle wheat germ into oatmeal, smoothies, muffins, or pancake batter to boost the nutritional value.
- Whole grain waffle (frozen is OK) with peanut butter and sliced banana on top with a glass of milk (fortified with DHA).
- Bowl of oatmeal with blueberries (fresh, frozen, or dried), made with milk, sprinkled with wheat germ.
- Smoothie with milk, frozen fruit, wheat germ. This is easy to drink in the car for kids who won't sit down for breakfast.
- Whole wheat tortilla with scrambled egg, cheese, salsa. Serve with side of fresh fruit or small glass of juice.
- English muffin with peanut butter and sliced apple on top. Serve with a glass of milk.
- Bowl of whole grain/high fiber cereal with milk and fresh fruit.
- Yogurt parfait with fresh fruit and granola.