New Years Resolutions
Each January many of us take the opportunity to reflect on the year past and look forward to the year ahead. We consider where we’ve been, where we’ve come, and where we’re going. It’s a time to analyze and visualize. For some it’s a call to set goals, for others it’s an opportunity to celebrate progress. And there’s no reason it can’t be both.
Regardless of how you approach the new year’s arrival, here are a number of ideas for making the best of this time for reflection and projection.
- Travel more.
- Exercise in new ways.
- Be better at something (I’m vowing to be more disciplined about taking those giant calcium pills).
- Overcome a fear or push outside your comfort zone in some way (for me this means “see #1”).
- Schedule that [follow-up/exam/procedure] appointment you’ve been dreading or putting off. (Bone density, here I come.)
- Decide to be more positive about some category of situations; let the annoyances go and enjoy the bright side.
- Give yourself a pat on the back for all you endure in life with IBD. It takes courage, stamina, discipline, and a lot of energy to live with a chronic illness, whether caring for yourself or a loved one. Congratulations, you made it through another year! Way to go!
- Thank your caregivers, friends, and family members for helping you through.
- Take a much-needed break, pamper yourself somehow, or take a liberty you don’t normally allow… but be safe, let’s try to minimize on setbacks.
- Join a support group
- Help with a fundraiser or volunteer in other ways
- Send a kid to camp
- Reach out to an IBD patient who could use a hand or a friend
Whatever you do, take some time to listen to yourself. Hear what it is your inner person needs, whether it be challenge or comfort, and do something meaningful to feed that craving.
Here’s to perspective, perseverance, and progress. Happy new year!
Recent Blog Posts
Mar 08, 2012
Planetary Progression of IBD
Mar 06, 2012
Iditarod: An Incredible Journey with IBD
Mar 01, 2012
Apolo Ohno: A Superstar’s Message about Dreams and Determination