Drugs A - Z
Zolmitriptan Oral tablet
Generic Name: zolmitriptan | Brand Name: Zomig
What is this medicine?ZOLMITRIPTAN (zohl mi TRIP tan) is used to treat migraines with or without aura. An aura is a strange feeling or visual disturbance that warns you of an attack. It is not used to prevent migraines.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bowel disease, colitis or bloody diarrhea
- family history of heart disease
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- headaches that are different from your usual migraine
- heart or blood vessel disease, angina (chest pain), or previous heart attack
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- history of stroke, transient ischemic attacks (TIAs or mini-strokes), or intracranial bleeding
- kidney or liver disease
- postmenopausal or surgical removal of uterus and ovaries
- seizure disorder
- tobacco smoker
- an unusual or allergic reaction to zolmitriptan, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. This medicine is taken at the first symptoms of a migraine. It is not for everyday use. If your migraine headache returns after one dose, you can take another dose as directed. You must allow at least 2 hours between doses, and do not take more than 10 mg total in any 24 hour period. If there is no improvement at all after the first dose, do not take a second dose without talking to your doctor or health care professional. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply; this medicine is not for regular use.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medicines:
- amphetamine or cocaine
- dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, ergoloid mesylates, methysergide, or ergot-type medication - do not take within 24 hours of taking zolmitriptan
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate - do not take zolmitriptan within 2 weeks of stopping MAOI therapy
- other migraine medicines like almotriptan, eletriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan - do not take within 24 hours of taking zolmitriptan
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- birth control pills
- medicines for mental depression, anxiety or mood problems
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Only take this medicine for a migraine headache. Take it if you get warning symptoms or at the start of a migraine attack. It is not for regular use to prevent migraine attacks.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. To reduce dizzy or fainting spells, do not sit or stand up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Alcohol can increase drowsiness, dizziness and flushing. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Smoking cigarettes may increase the risk of heart-related side effects from using this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- chest or throat pain, tightness
- fast or irregular heart beat
- increased blood pressure
- severe stomach pain and cramping, bloody diarrhea
- shortness of breath, wheezing, or difficulty breathing
- tingling, pain, or numbness in the face, hands or feet
- unusual reaction or swelling of the skin, eyelids, face, or lips
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- feeling warm, flushing, sweating or redness of the face
- muscle pain or cramps
- nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, or difficulty swallowing
- tiredness or weakness
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.