Drugs A - Z
Voriconazole Oral tablet
Generic Name: voriconazole | Brand Name: VFEND
Brand Names: VFEND
What is this medicine?VORICONAZOLE (vohr ih KON uh zohl) is an antifungal. It stops the growth of some fungus and yeast. This medicine is used to treat many kinds of fungal infections.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- hereditary problems of galactose or other sugar intolerance
- history of irregular heartbeat
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to voriconazole, other antifungal medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or one hour after a meal. Do not take with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Take all of your medicine as directed even if you think your are better. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- barbiturates, like phenobarbital
- certain medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, lovastatin, and simvastatin
- ergotamine, dihydroergotamine
- rifampin, rifapentine
- red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for diabetes
- medicines for erectile dysfunction
- medicines for heart disease like diltiazem, nicardipine
- medicines for HIV
- medicines for sleep
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checkups. If you are taking this medicine for a long time you may need blood work. Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve. Some fungal infections need many weeks or months of treatment to cure.
You may have changes in vision, including blurring and/or light sensitivity. Do not drive at night while taking this medicine. If you notice a change in vision avoid potentially hazardous tasks, such as driving or operating machinery. Avoid strong, direct sunlight during this therapy.
Women should inform their doctor if they wish to become pregnant or think they might be pregnant. There is a potential for serious side effects to an unborn child. Talk to your health care professional or pharmacist for more information.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash or itching, hives, swelling of the lips, mouth, tongue, or throat
- change in vision
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- dizzy, faint
- fast heart rate
- fever, chills, infection
- less or more urine
- pale colored stools
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- seizure, tremor
- stomach pain
- unusual bruising or bleeding
- yellowing of eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- agitation, anxiety, confusion
- dry mouth
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.