Drugs A - Z
Tuberculin Solution for injection
Generic Name: tuberculin purified protein derivative | Brand Name: Aplisol
What is this medicine?TUBERCULIN PURIFIED PROTEIN DERIVATIVE, PPD is a test used to detect if you have a tuberculosis infection. It will not cause tuberculosis infection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- HIV or AIDS
- immune system problems
- infection (especially a virus infection such as chickenpox, cold sores, or herpes)
- kidney disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to tuberculin purified protein derivative, PPD, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection in the skin. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed in children, precautions do apply.
Overdosage: If you think you've taken too much of this medicine contact a poison control center or emergency room at once.
What if I miss a dose?It is important not to miss your dose. Call your doctor or health care professional if you are unable to keep an appointment.
What may interact with this medicine?
- live virus vaccines
- medicines to treat cancer
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
What should I watch for while using this medicine?See your health care provider as directed.
This medicine does not protect against tuberculosis.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- pain, redness, or irritation at site where injected
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.