Drugs A - Z
Troleandomycin Oral capsule
Generic Name: troleandomycin
Brand Names: Tao
What is this medicine?TROLEANDOMYCIN (troe lee an doe MYE sin) is a macrolide antibiotic. It stops the growth of some bacteria. This medicine is used to treat and prevent certain infections. This medicine will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to troleandomycin, erythromycin, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early even if you feel better. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergotamine, dihydroergotamine
- grapefruit juice
- other antibiotics like grepafloxacin, sparfloxacin
- some medicines for cholesterol like atorvastatin, cerivastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- some medicines for irregular heart rhythm like amiodarone, dofetilide, flecainide, quinidine, sotalol
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Do not treat diarrhea with over-the-counter medicines. Contact your doctor if you have diarrhea that lasts more than 2 days, or is severe and watery.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- dizzy, faint
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- unusually weak or tired
- vaginal itch, discharge
- white patches, sores in mouth
- yellowing of eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea, vomiting
- rectal pain
- stomach cramping
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.