Drugs A - Z
Thiothixene Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: thiothixene
Brand Names: Navane
What is this medicine?THIOTHIXENE (thye oh THIX een) is used to treat schizophrenia.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood disorder or disease
- brain tumor or head injury
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- Parkinson's disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to thiothixene, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection into a muscle. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 12 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like grepafloxacin, sparfloxacin
- medicines for abnormal heart rhythm
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for high blood pressure
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Do not treat yourself for colds, diarrhea or allergies. Ask your doctor or health care professional for advice, some nonprescription medicines may increase possible side effects.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- abnormal production of milk in females
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- blurred vision
- breast enlargement in both males and females
- breathing problems
- confusion, restlessness, agitation
- difficulty in speaking or swallowing
- difficulty passing urine, or sudden loss of bladder control
- dizziness or lightheadedness, fainting spells
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- fever, chills, or sore throat
- hot, dry skin
- lack of sweating or increased sweating
- loss of balance or difficulty walking
- stiffness, spasms, trembling
- uncontrollable tongue or chewing movements, smacking lips or puffing cheeks
- uncontrollable muscle spasms, in the face hands, arms, or legs, twisting body movements
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- menstrual changes
- nausea, vomiting
- weight gain
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.