Drugs A - Z
Thioridazine Hydrochloride Oral tablet
Generic Name: thioridazine | Brand Name: Mellaril
Brand Names: Mellaril
What is this medicine?THIORIDAZINE (thye oh RID a zeen) is used to treat schizophrenia. This medicine should only be used when other medications have not worked, because it can cause serious heart-related side effects.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood disorders
- frequently drink alcoholic beverages
- heart or liver disease
- Parkinson's disease
- uncontrollable movement disorder
- an unusual or allergic reaction to thioridazine, other medicines foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this drug may be prescribed for children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, gatifloxacin, grepafloxacin, moxifloxacin, sparfloxacin
- local anesthetics
- medicines for mental depression
- medicines to control irregular heart rhythms
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- barbiturate medicines like phenobarbital
- local and general anesthetics
- prescription pain medicines
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress.
You may get drowsy, dizzy, or have blurred vision. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can increase possible dizziness or drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- blurred vision
- breast enlargement in men or women
- breast milk in women who are not breast-feeding
- chest pain, fast or irregular heartbeat
- confusion, restlessness
- dark yellow or brown urine
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- dizziness or fainting spells
- drooling, shaking
- fever, chills, sore throat
- involuntary or uncontrollable movements of the eyes, mouth, head, arms, and legs
- stomach area pain
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of skin or eyes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- difficulty passing urine
- difficulty sleeping
- sexual dysfunction
- skin rash, or itching
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature below 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.