Drugs A - Z
Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate Solution for injection
Generic Name: sodium tetradecyl sulfate
Brand Names: Sotradecol
What is this medicine?SODIUM TETRADECYL SULFATE (SOE dee um tet ra DES uhl SUHL feyt) is used to improve the appearance of varicose veins.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart or blood vessel disease
- history of cancer
- history of stomach or intestinal perforation
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma
- overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism)
- peripheral artery disease, such as Buerger's Disease
- skin or tissue infection
- an unusual or allergic reaction to sodium tetradecyl sulfate, benzyl alcohol, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection into a vein. It is usually given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills, patches, rings, or injections
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be closely monitored during use of this medicine.
Follow all of the instructions from your health care professional. You may need to wear elastic compression stockings after the procedure.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- minor skin discoloration at site where injected
- nausea, vomiting
- temporary pain, itching, or tingling at site where injected