Drugs A - Z
Iron Solution for injection
Generic Name: sodium ferric gluconate complex
Brand Names: Ferrlecit
What is this medicine?SODIUM FERRIC GLUCONATE COMPLEX (SOE dee um FER ik GLOO koe nate KOM pleks) is an iron replacement. It is used with epoetin therapy to treat low iron levels in patients who are receiving hemodialysis.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- anemia that is not from iron deficiency
- high levels of iron in the body
- an unusual or allergic reaction to iron, benzyl alcohol, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or are trying to become pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?It is important not to miss your dose. Call your doctor or health care professional if you are unable to keep an appointment.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- other iron products
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicine for blood pressure like enalapril
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
Visit your doctor for check-ups as directed.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in hearing
- changes in vision
- chills, flushing, or sweating
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever, flu-like symptoms
- high or low blood pressure
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- severe pain in the chest, back, flanks, or groin
- swelling of the ankles, feet, hands
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dark colored stools
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach upset
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.