Drugs A - Z
Secretin, (Synthetic, Porcine) Solution for injection
Generic Name: secretin | Brand Name: ChiRhoStim
What is this medicine?SECRETIN (si KREE tin) is used as an aid in the diagnosis of certain disorders of the pancreas, stomach, and intestines.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- history of allergies
- liver disease
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma
- an unusual or allergic reaction to secretin, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection into a vein. It is usually given by a healthcare professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- antihistamines for allergy, cough and cold
- certain medicines for bladder problems like oxybutynin, tolterodine
- certain medicines for stomach problems like dicyclomine, hyoscyamine
- certain medicines for travel sickness like scopolamine
- certain medicines for Parkinson's disease like benztropine, trihexyphenidyl
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be closely monitored while you are receiving this medicine.
The effects of the injection only last for a few minutes or less. Follow all instructions of your health care provider for before and after your test.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- slow, irregular heartbeat
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- abdominal cramps or discomfort
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.