Drugs A - Z
Romiplostim (E. Coli) Solution for injection
Generic Name: romiplostim | Brand Name: Nplate
Brand Names: Nplate
What is this medicine?ROMIPLOSTIM (roe mi PLOE stim) helps your body make more platelets. This medicine is used to treat low platelets caused by chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP).
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- cancer or myelodysplastic syndrome
- low blood counts, like low white cell, platelet, or red cell counts
- take medicines that treat or prevent blood clots
- an unusual or allergic reaction to romiplostim, mannitol, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection under the skin. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
A special MedGuide will be given to you before your injection. Read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?It is important not to miss your dose. Call your doctor or health care professional if you are unable to keep an appointment.
What may interact with this medicine?Interactions are not expected.
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
Visit your prescriber or health care professional for regular checks on your progress and for the needed blood tests. It is important to keep all appointments.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- shortness of breath, chest pain, swelling in a leg
- unusual bleeding or bruising
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- muscle aches
- pain in arms and legs
- stomach pain
- trouble sleeping