Drugs A - Z
Rasburicase Solution for injection
Generic Name: rasburicase | Brand Name: Elitek
Brand Names: Elitek
What is this medicine?RASBURICASE (ras BURE i kase) breaks down uric acid in the blood. It is used to prevent and to treat high levels of uric acid caused by cancer treatment.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- G6PD deficiency
- history of anemia
- history of blood transfusion
- an unusual or allergic reaction to rasburicase, yeast, mannitol, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 1 month old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine. You will need to have regular blood tests during your treatment.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- blue color to lips or nailbeds
- breathing problems
- chest pain, tightness
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- low blood pressure
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation or diarrhea
- mouth sores
- nausea, vomiting
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.