Drugs A - Z
Pyridostigmine Bromide Solution for injection
Generic Name: pyridostigmine | Brand Name: Mestinon
What is this medicine?PYRIDOSTIGMINE (peer id oh STIG meen) can help with muscle strength. It is used to treat myasthenia gravis. It is also used to reverse the effects of some muscle relaxers.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- difficulty passing urine
- heart disease
- irregular, slow heartbeat
- kidney disease
- stomach or bowel obstruction or ulcers
- an unusual or allergic reaction to pyridostigmine, benzyl alcohol, bromides, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection into a muscle or a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- other medicines for myasthenia gravis like neostigmine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines that block muscle or nerve pain
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine. Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- muscle cramps, spasm
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- stomach cramps, pain
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- diarrhea, especially at start of treatment
- increased saliva
- increased sweating
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.