Drugs A - Z
Potassium Gluconate Oral tablet
Generic Name: potassium chloride | Brand Name: Kaon-CI
What is this medicine?POTASSIUM (poe TASS i um) is a natural salt that is important for the heart, muscles, and nerves. It is found in many foods and is normally supplied by a well balanced diet. This medicine is used to treat low potassium.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- irregular heartbeat
- kidney disease
- stomach ulcers or other stomach problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to potassium salts, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take with food. Do not suck on, crush, or chew this medicine. If you have difficulty swallowing, ask the pharmacist how to take. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- sodium polystyrene sulfonate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for blood pressure or heart disease like lisinopril, losartan, quinapril, valsartan
- medicines for cold or allergies
- medicines for inflammation like ibuprofen, indomethacin
- medicines for Parkinson's disease
- medicines for the stomach like metoclopramide, dicyclomine, glycopyrrolate
- some diuretics
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. You will need lab work done regularly.
You may need to be on a special diet while taking this medicine. Ask your doctor.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- black, tarry stools
- irregular heartbeat
- numbness or tingling in hands or feet
- pain when swallowing
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- stomach gas
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F ). Keep bottle closed tightly to protect this medicine from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.