Drugs A - Z
Phenylephrine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: phenylephrine | Brand Name: Nasop12
What is this medicine?PHENYLEPHRINE (fen il EF rin) can treat a variety of conditions. It is often used during surgery. This medicine may used to treat very low blood pressure or serious heart problems such as irregular heartbeat.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- head injury or disease
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- an unusual or allergic reaction to phenylephrine, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection or infusion into a vein, or injection into a muscle or under the skin. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for mental depression
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- pale skin
- unusual sweating
- confusion, nervousness
- nausea, vomiting