Drugs A - Z
Phenylephrine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: phenylephrine | Brand Name: Nasop12
What is this medicine?PHENYLEPHRINE (fen il EF rin) can treat a variety of conditions. It is often used during surgery. This medicine may used to treat very low blood pressure or serious heart problems such as irregular heartbeat.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- head injury or disease
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- an unusual or allergic reaction to phenylephrine, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection or infusion into a vein, or injection into a muscle or under the skin. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for mental depression
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- pale skin
- unusual sweating
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- confusion, nervousness
- nausea, vomiting
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.