Drugs A - Z
Phenylephrine Hydrochloride Nasal drops, solution
Generic Name: phenylephrine nasal | Brand Name: Neo-Synephrine Mild Nasal
What is this medicine?PHENYLEPHRINE (fen il EF rin) is a decongestant. It is used to relieve a stuffy nose from allergies, colds, or sinus problems.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- prostate problems
- thyroid disease
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- an unusual or allergic reaction to phenylephrine, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for use in the nose. Follow the directions on the package label. Make sure that you are using the nasal spray correctly. Use your doses at regular intervals. Do not use your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 6 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- other stimulant medicines
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines for mental depression
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. Do not use this medicine for more than 3 days. Overuse will cause nasal congestion to come back or get worse.
Do not share this bottle with anyone else.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- swelling inside the nose
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- burning, stinging, dryness inside the nose
- sneezing or runny nose
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not freeze. Protect from light. Do not use if solution is brown or has solid pieces. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.