Drugs A - Z
Pantoprazole Sodium Solution for injection
Generic Name: pantoprazole
Brand Names: Protonix
What is this medicine?PANTOPRAZOLE (pan TOE pra zole) prevents the production of acid in the stomach. It is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), inflammation of the esophagus, and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- liver disease
- low levels of magnesium in the blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to omeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazole, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- iron salts
- medicines for fungal infections like ketoconazole, itraconazole and voriconazole
What should I watch for while using this medicine?It can take several days before your stomach pain gets better. Check with your doctor or health care professional if your condition does not start to get better, or if it gets worse.
You may need blood work done while you are taking this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bone, muscle or joint pain
- breathing problems
- chest pain or chest tightness
- dark yellow or brown urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded
- fever or sore throat
- muscle spasm
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- dry mouth
Where should I keep my medicine?This does not apply. You will not be given this medicine to store at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.