Drugs A - Z
Oxytocin Solution for injection
Generic Name: oxytocin | Brand Name: Syntocinon
What is this medicine?OXYTOCIN (ox i TOE sin) is a man-made form of a natural hormone. It works by causing the uterus to contract. It is used to increase the strength of contractions of the uterus. It can be used during childbirth to speed delivery or after childbirth to control bleeding. It is also used clear the uterus after an incomplete abortion or miscarriage.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- any condition where vaginal childbirth is unwanted like cervical cancer, herpes infection, oversized fetal head
- dangerous position of the fetus, placenta, or umbilical cord
- history of uterine surgery like cesarean section
- pregnant many times before
- uterus over stimulated
- an unusual or allergic reaction to oxytocin, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- Ephedra, Ma Huang
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- dinoprostone, prostaglandin E2
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines used for sleep during surgery
- other medicines to contract the uterus
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- excessive or continuing vaginal bleeding
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- high blood pressure
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual swelling, sudden weight gain
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea and vomiting
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.