Drugs A - Z
Dextrose, Ondansetron Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: ondansetron | Brand Name: Zofran
What is this medicine?ONDANSETRON (on DAN se tron) is used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy. It is also used to prevent or treat nausea and vomiting after surgery.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- history of irregular heartbeat
- liver disease
- low levels of magnesium or potassium in the blood
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ondansetron, granisetron, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever and chills
- swelling of the hands and feet
- tightness in the chest
- constipation or diarrhea