Drugs A - Z
Metoprolol Tartrate Solution for injection
Generic Name: metoprolol | Brand Name: Toprol-XL
What is this medicine?METOPROLOL (me TOE proe lole) is a beta-blocker. Beta-blockers reduce the workload on the heart and help it to beat more regularly. This medicine is used to treat high blood pressure and to prevent chest pain. It is also used to after a heart attack and to prevent an additional heart attack from occurring.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart or vessel disease like slow heart rate, worsening heart failure, heart block, sick sinus syndrome or Raynaud's disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma or emphysema
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to metoprolol, other beta-blockers, medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicine to control heart rhythm like quinidine, propafenone
- medicine for depression like monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors, fluoxetine, and paroxetine
- medicine for high blood pressure like calcium channel blockers
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives
- breathing problems
- cold or numb hands or feet
- feeling faint
- fever with sore throat
- irregular heartbeat, chest pain
- rapid weight gain
- swollen legs or ankles
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- anxiety or nervousness
- change in sex drive or performance
- dry skin
- nightmares or trouble sleeping
- short term memory loss
- stomach upset or diarrhea
- unusually tired
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.