Drugs A - Z
Mesna Solution for injection
Generic Name: mesna
What is this medicine?MESNA (MES na) is used to prevent bleeding from the bladder during treatment with ifosfamide. This medicine does not reduce the chance of getting other side effects of cancer chemotherapy.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- autoimmune disease like lupus, nephritis, or rheumatoid arthritis
- an unusual or allergic reaction to mesna, benzyl alcohol, sulfur medicines, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Interactions are not expected.
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your doctor will follow your condition closely while you are taking this medicine. Tell your doctor right away if you see that your urine has turned a pink or red color.
It is important to drink at least a quart (4 cups) of fluids each day that you take this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- blood in your urine or pink to red colored urine
- fever, chills, or sore throat
- flushing or redness to skin
- mouth sores
- pain or redness at site where injected
- swelling of ankles or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- aches and pains
- bad taste in mouth
- hair loss
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.