Drugs A - Z
Ibutilide Fumarate Solution for injection
Generic Name: ibutilide | Brand Name: Corvert
Brand Names: Corvert
What is this medicine?IBUTILIDE is an antiarrhythmic agent. This medicine can help your heart beat regularly.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- liver disease
- low blood magnesium levels
- low blood potassium levels
- other heart problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ibutilide, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health-care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, gatifloxacin, gemifloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, sparfloxacin, telithromycin, troleandomycin
- medicines to control heart rhythm
- medicines to treat or prevent malaria like chloroquine or halofantrine
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- tricyclic antidepressants
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- slow heart rate
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- increased blood pressure
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.