Drugs A - Z
Ibutilide Fumarate Solution for injection
Generic Name: ibutilide | Brand Name: Corvert
Brand Names: Corvert
What is this medicine?IBUTILIDE is an antiarrhythmic agent. This medicine can help your heart beat regularly.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- liver disease
- low blood magnesium levels
- low blood potassium levels
- other heart problems
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ibutilide, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health-care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, gatifloxacin, gemifloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, sparfloxacin, telithromycin, troleandomycin
- medicines to control heart rhythm
- medicines to treat or prevent malaria like chloroquine or halofantrine
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
- tricyclic antidepressants
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- slow heart rate
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- increased blood pressure