Drugs A - Z
Formoterol Fumarate Nebulizer solution
Generic Name: formoterol
What is this medicine?FORMOTEROL (for MOH te rol) is a slow-acting bronchodilator. It helps to open up the airways of your lungs. This medicine is used to treat COPD. It should not be used alone for asthma. Do NOT use for an acute asthma attack. Do NOT use for a COPD attack.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- have asthma and are not taking any other asthma medicine
- heart disease or irregular heartbeat
- high blood pressure
- thyroid disease
- worsening asthma
- an unusual or allergic reaction to formoterol, other medicines, food, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is used in a nebulizer. Nebulizers make a liquid into an aerosol that you breathe in through your mouth or your mouth and nose into your lungs. You will be taught how to use your nebulizer. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not use more often than directed.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- other medicines for breathing problems
- some antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, levofloxacin, and linezolid
- some heart medicines
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Visit your doctor for regular check ups. Tell your doctor or health care professional if your symptoms do not get better. If your symptoms get worse or if you need your short-acting inhalers more often, call your doctor right away. Do not use this medicine more than every 12 hours.
If you have asthma, be aware that using this medicine may increase your risk of dying from asthma related problems. Talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of taking this medicine. NEVER use this medicine for an acute asthma attack.
If you are going to have surgery tell your doctor or health care professional that you are using this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions such as skin rash or itching, hives, swelling of the face, lips or tongue
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing or wheezing that increases or does not go away
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- nausea, vomiting
- sore throat
- stuffy nose
- trouble sleeping
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store between 2 and 25 degrees C (36 and 77 degrees F). Protect from heat and moisture. Keep this medicine in the foil pouch until ready to use. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Special rules describing how to store and how long you should keep your medicine may apply. Be sure to read the MedGuide that came with your prescription carefully and follow the directions for storing and using your medicine.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.