Drugs A - Z
Fomepizole Solution for injection
Generic Name: fomepizole
Brand Names: Antizol
What is this medicine?FOMEPIZOLE is used to treat ethylene glycol or methanol poisoning. Ethylene glycol is found in antifreeze and coolants. Methanol may be found in windshield wiper fluid and many cleaning solutions.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- kidney disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fomepizole, other pyrazoles, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast or slow heartbeat
- low blood pressure
- pain at site where injected
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- uncontrolled back-and-forth eye movements
- unusual bleeding or bruising
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- bad or metal taste
- changes in vision
- dizzy, drowsy
- feeling of drunkenness or hangover
- loss of appetite
- nausea, vomiting
- stomach pain
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.