Drugs A - Z
Fish Oil Oral capsule, liquid filled
Generic Name: docosahexaenoic acid-eicosapentaenoic acid
What is this medicine?FISH OIL, OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS (Fish Oil, oh MAY ga - 3 fatty AS ids) are essential fats. It is promoted to help support a healthy heart. This dietary supplement is used to add to a healthy diet. The FDA has not approved this supplement for any medical use.
This supplement may be used for other purposes; ask your health care provider or pharmacist if you have questions.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions
- bleeding problems
- lung or breathing disease, like asthma
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fish oil, omega-3 fatty acids, fish, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the package or prescription label. Take with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. This medicine should not be used in children without a doctor's advice.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- herbal products like danshen, dong quai, garlic pills, ginger, ginkgo biloba, horse chestnut, willow bark, and others
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like enoxaparin, heparin, warfarin
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Follow a good diet and exercise plan. Taking a dietary supplement does not replace a healthy lifestyle. Some foods that have omega-3 fatty acids naturally are fatty fish like albacore tuna, halibut, herring, mackerel, lake trout, salmon, and sardines.
Too much of this supplement can be unsafe. Talk to your doctor or health care provider about how much of this supplement is right for you.
If you are scheduled for any medical or dental procedure, tell your healthcare provider that you are taking this medicine. You may need to stop taking this medicine before the procedure.
Herbal or dietary supplements are not regulated like medicines. Rigid quality control standards are not required for dietary supplements. The purity and strength of these products can vary. The safety and effect of this dietary supplement for a certain disease or illness is not well known. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
The Food and Drug Administration suggests the following to help consumers protect themselves:
- Always read product labels and follow directions.
- Natural does not mean a product is safe for humans to take.
- Look for products that include USP after the ingredient name. This means that the manufacturer followed the standards of the US Pharmacopoeia.
- Supplements made or sold by a nationally known food or drug company are more likely to be made under tight controls. You can write to the company for more information about how the product was made.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in your moods or emotions
- unusual bleeding or bruising
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- bad or fishy breath
- stomach gas, upset
- weight gain
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature or as directed on the package label. Protect from moisture. Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.