Drugs A - Z
Fenoldopam Mesylate Solution for injection
Generic Name: fenoldopam
Brand Names: Corlopam
What is this medicine?FENOLDOPAM is a vasodilator that relaxes blood vessels. It is used to reduce blood pressure in a hypertensive (high blood pressure) emergency, and during or after surgery. This medicine is not for long-term use.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- an unusual or allergic reaction to fenoldopam, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health-care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- medicines for high blood pressure or heart disease, including beta-blockers like atenolol, bisoprolol, carvedilol, metoprolol
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- chest pain
- tingling feeling, especially in the hands or feet
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- anxious feeling
- back pain
- pain at the site of injection
- stomach pain
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.