Drugs A - Z
Epinephrine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: epinephrine | Brand Name: EpiPen JR Auto-Injector
What is this medicine?EPINEPHRINE (ep i NEF rin) can help to open up air passages and make breathing easier for people with various lung problems such as severe asthma. It also treats severe allergic reactions and certain heart problems. This medicine is sometimes added to certain types of anesthesia to make them last longer.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- blood vessel disease
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- over active thyroid
- an unusual or allergic reaction to epinephrine, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection under the skin, into a muscle or into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a clinic or hospital setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, use only that dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- medicines for colds and breathing difficulties
- medicines for hay fever and other allergies
- stimulants like those used for weight loss or ADHD
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline, desipramine, nortriptyline and others
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your conditions will be closely monitored while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- difficulty breathing, wheezing
- flushing (reddening of the skin)
- irregular heartbeats, palpitations, or chest pain
- numbness in fingers or toes
- swelling of the face
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- anxiety or nervousness
- dry mouth
- drowsiness or dizziness
- increased sweating
- weakness or tiredness
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.