Drugs A - Z
Edrophonium Chloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: edrophonium | Brand Name: Reversol
What is this medicine?EDROPHONIUM (ed ruh FOH nee uhm) works on the nervous system of the body. It is used to test for muscle response and to diagnose myasthenia gravis. It is also used to check for a response to drug therapy in patients with myasthenia gravis. It can be used to reverse the effects of certain muscle relaxants used during surgery.
NOTE: This drug is discontinued in the US.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- irregular heartbeat
- stomach obstruction
- trouble passing urine
- an unusual or allergic reaction to edrophonium, sulfites, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for injection into a muscle or a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- medicines that improve muscle strength or tone for conditions like myasthenia gravis
- muscle relaxers used during some procedures, surgery
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- problems with balance, talking, walking
- slow or irregular heartbeat
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- increase in the need to pass urine
- increased saliva, sweating, tears
- muscle twitch
- nausea, vomiting
- unusually tired or weak
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.