Drugs A - Z
Dinoprostone Vaginal insert
Generic Name: dinoprostone | Brand Name: Cervidil
What is this medicine?DINOPROSTONE, PROSTAGLANDIN E2 (dye noe PROST one, pros tuh GLAN din) is used to help dilate the cervix in pregnant women who are at or near term. This will help to induce labor.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- active genital herpes infection
- placenta previa
- previous pregnancy with difficult labor, traumatic delivery or cesarean section
- previous surgery to the uterus
- vaginal bleeding, inflammation or infection
- 6 or more previous pregnancies
- an unusual or allergic reaction to dinoprostone, prostaglandins, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is inserted into the vagina by a health-care professional in a hospital or clinic setting. Remain lying down for 2 hours after it is inserted. After the 2 hours, you may walk around. Your doctor will remove the insert after it has been in place for 12 hours or after active labor beings.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
What should I watch for while using this medicine?You will be closely monitored while you receive this medicine.
This medicine can affect other muscles outside of the uterus and cause side effects. Most of these effects will go away quickly.
Contact your doctor or health care professional immediately if you get an unpleasant vaginal discharge, continued fever, chills and shivering, or increase in vaginal bleeding several days after treatment.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- continuous or excessive vaginal bleeding
- excessive abdominal or cramping pains
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea, vomiting
Where should I keep my medicine?This does not apply. You will not be given this medicine to store at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.