Drugs A - Z
Diethylpropion Hydrochloride Oral tablet, extended release
Generic Name: diethylpropion
What is this medicine?DIETHYLPROPION (dye eth il PROE pee on) decreases your appetite. It is used with a reduced calorie diet and exercise to help you lose weight. This medicine is only meant to be used for a few weeks.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- high blood pressure
- history of drug dependence or substance abuse
- kidney or liver disease
- lung disease
- valvular heart disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to diethylpropion, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Swallow whole. Do not crush or chew. This medicine is usually taken mid morning. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 16 years for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, do not take the tablet if it is later than early afternoon, since it may cause insomnia. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- medicines for colds or breathing difficulties like pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine
- other medicines or herbal products for weight loss or to decrease appetite
- stimulants like amphetamine, dextroamphetamine, dexmethylphenidate, methylphenidate or modafinil
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- general anesthetics
- insulin and other medicines for diabetes
- medicines for high blood pressure
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, prochlorperazine, thioridazine
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. You need to closely monitor your weight loss. If your rate of weight loss slows down or stops, you may need to stop the medicine, and restart after a time without the medicine.
You may get dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may increase dizziness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- abnormal heart rate or rhythm
- angry, confusion, more nervous, restless
- breast growth in men
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- chest pain
- difficulty with balance
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- nausea, vomiting
- trouble sleeping
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation or diarrhea
- dry mouth or unpleasant taste
- flushing of the skin
- hair loss
- increase or decrease in sexual desire or performance
- menstrual irregularity
- red or itchy skin
- upset stomach
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children. This medicine can be abused. Keep your medicine in a safe place to protect it from theft. Do not share this medicine with anyone. Selling or giving away this medicine is dangerous and against the law.
Store at room temperature below 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Protect from heat. Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.