Drugs A - Z
Conivaptan hydrochloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: conivaptan
Brand Names: Vaprisol
What is this medicine?CONIVAPTAN is used to treat low levels of sodium in the blood.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- heart disease
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- low blood pressure
- an unusual or allergic reaction to conivaptan, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for an irregular heartbeat like digoxin, quinidine, sotalol
- medicines for anxiety or difficulty sleeping
- medicines for blood pressure like amlodipine
- medicines for cholesterol like simvastatin
- medicines for HIV infection or AIDS like amprenavir, delavirdine, efavirenz, nelfinavir, saquinavir
- medicines for erectile dysfunction or impotence like sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil
- some antibiotics like erythromycin, troleandomycin
- some medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, miconazole, voriconazole
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- chest pain
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- low blood pressure
- swelling, pain at site where injected
- swelling of the ankles, feet, hands
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth
- trouble sleeping
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.