Drugs A - Z
Chlorpromazine Hydrochloride Solution for injection
Generic Name: chlorpromazine
What is this medicine?CHLORPROMAZINE (klor PROE ma zeen) has many different uses. It is used to treat certain mental and behavioral disorders. It is also used to control nausea and vomiting, nervousness before surgery, and hiccups that will not go away. It is also used to treat episodes of porphyria and in combination with other medicines to treat tetanus.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- blood disorders or disease
- frequently drink alcoholic beverages
- liver disease
- Parkinson's disease
- Reye's syndrome
- uncontrollable movement disorder
- an unusual or allergic reaction to chlorpromazine, sulfa drugs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?The medicine is for injection into a muscle or infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this medicine may be prescribed for children as young as 6 months of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like gatifloxacin, grepafloxacin, sparfloxacin
- medicines for mental depression
- medicines to control irregular heart rhythms
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- barbiturate medicines for inducing sleep or treating seizures, like phenobarbital
- local and general anesthetics
- prescription pain medicines
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
You may get drowsy, dizzy, or have blurred vision. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can increase possible dizziness or drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breast enlargement in men or women
- breast milk in women who are not breast-feeding
- breathing problems
- changes in vision
- chest pain
- confusion, drooling, restlessness
- dark urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- fever, chills, sore throat
- stomach area pain
- uncontrollable movements of the eyes, mouth, head, arms, legs
- unusual bleeding, bruising
- unusually weak ot tired
- yellowing of the eyes, skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- change in sex drive or performance
- trouble passing urine
- trouble sleeping
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.