Drugs A - Z
Antihistamines with Decongestants Oral tablet
Generic Name: chlorpheniramine-pseudoephedrine | Brand Name: SudaHist
What is this medicine?CHLORPHENIRAMINE; PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (klor fen IR a meen; soo doe e FED rin) is a combination of an antihistamine and a decongestant. It is used to treat the symptoms of allergy and colds. This medicine will not treat an infection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- difficulty passing urine
- heart disease
- stomach ulcer
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to chlorpheniramine, pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. If this medicine upsets your stomach, take with food or milk. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- barbiturates like phenobarbital
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for sleep
- other medicines for cold, cough or allergy
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing trouble
- blurred vision
- difficulty passing urine
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- fear, anxiety, restless, tremor
- high or low blood pressure
- unusually weak or tired
- dry mouth, nose, throat
- loss of appetite
- more sensitive to sunlight
- passing urine more often
- stomach upset, nausea
- trouble sleeping
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.