Drugs A - Z
Antitussive with Decongestant and Antihistamine Oral suspension
Generic Name: chlorpheniramine/dextromethorphan/PSE | Brand Name: Rhinosyn-DM
What is this medicine?CHLORPHENIRAMINE; DEXTROMETHORPHAN; PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (klor fen IR a meen; dex troe meth OR fan; soo doe e FED rin) is a combination of an antihistamine, a cough suppressant, and a decongestant. It is used to treat the cough, congestion, runny nose, and sneezing of a cold, allergies, or other sinus problem. This medicine will not treat an infection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- cough that does not go away
- cough with a lot of phlegm
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- thyroid disease
- trouble passing urine
- an unusual or allergic reaction to chlorpheniramine, dextromethorphan, pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or container to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- ergot alkaloids like dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, ergotamine, methylergonovine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- stimulant medicines for attention or weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for anxiety or sleep
- medicines for blood pressure like atenolol, clonidine, doxazosin, methyldopa, metoprolol
- medicines for chest pain like isosorbide dinitrate, nitroglycerin
- medicines for enlarged prostate like tamsulosin
- medicines for sleep during surgery
- other medicines for cold, cough or allergy
- St. John's Wort
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. Let your doctor know if you have congestion or cough that lasts for more than 7 days. Call your doctor if you get a fever.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- changes in vision
- chest pain, tightness
- dizziness, nervousness, or sleeplessness
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- high blood pressure
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry eyes, mouth
- loss of appetite
- stomach upset
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.