Drugs A - Z
Celecoxib Oral capsule
Generic Name: celecoxib
Brand Names: Celebrex
What is this medicine?CELECOXIB (sell a KOX ib) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). This medicine is used to treat arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. It may be also used for pain or painful monthly periods.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery within the past 2 weeks
- drink more than 3 alcohol-containing drinks a day
- heart disease or circulation problems like heart failure or leg edema (fluid retention)
- high blood pressure
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- stomach bleeding or ulcers
- an unusual or allergic reaction to celecoxib, sulfa drugs, aspirin, other NSAIDs, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth with a full glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take it with food if it upsets your stomach or if you take 400 mg at one time. Try to not lie down for at least 10 minutes after you take the medicine. Take the medicine at the same time each day. Do not take more medicine than you are told to take. Long-term, continuous use may increase the risk of heart attack or stroke.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- other NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like drugs
- medicines for high blood pressure
- steroid medicines like prednisone or cortisone
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor or health care professional if your pain does not get better. Talk to your doctor before taking another medicine for pain. Do not treat yourself.
This medicine does not prevent heart attack or stroke. In fact, this medicine may increase the chance of a heart attack or stroke. The chance may increase with longer use of this medicine and in people who have heart disease. If you take aspirin to prevent heart attack or stroke, talk with your doctor or health care professional.
Do not take medicines such as ibuprofen and naproxen with this medicine. Side effects such as stomach upset, nausea, or ulcers may be more likely to occur. Many medicines available without a prescription should not be taken with this medicine.
This medicine can cause ulcers and bleeding in the stomach and intestines at any time during treatment. Ulcers and bleeding can happen without warning symptoms and can cause death.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- black or bloody stools, blood in the urine or vomit
- blurred vision
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- nausea, vomiting
- problems with balance, talking, walking
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- unexplained weight gain or swelling
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of eyes, skin
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- constipation or diarrhea
- gas or heartburn
- upset stomach
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Keep container tightly closed. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.