Drugs A - Z
Antitussive with Decongestants Oral suspension
Generic Name: carbetapentane-pseudoephedrine
What is this medicine?CARBETAPENTANE; PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (kar bay ta PEN tane; soo doe e FED rin) is a cough suppressant and decongestant medicine. It is used to treat the symptoms of allergies, a common cold, or other sinus problems. This medicine will not treat an infection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- difficulty passing urine
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate within the last 14 days
- thyroid disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to carbetapentane, pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Shake well before using. Use a specially marked spoon or dropper to measure each dose. Ask your pharmacist if you do not have one. Household spoons are not accurate. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take it more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 2 years old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction and need a smaller dose.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- dihydroergotamine, ergotamine
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for heart problems
- St. John's Wort
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- anxiety, nervous, or restless
- breathing problems
- changes in blood pressure
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- problems with balance, talking, or walking
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusually weak or tired
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry eyes or mouth
- trouble sleeping
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.