Drugs A - Z
Antihistamines with Decongestants Oral drops, solution
Generic Name: brompheniramine-pseudoephedrine | Brand Name: B-Vex PD
What is this medicine?BROMPHENIRAMINE; PSEUDOEPHEDRINE (brome fen IR a meen; soo doe e FED rin) is a combination of an antihistamine and a decongestant. It is used to treat the symptoms of allergy and colds. This medicine will not treat an infection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of the following conditions:
- difficulty passing urine
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- taken an MAOI like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, or Parnate in last 14 days
- thyroid disease
- ulcer or other stomach problem
- an unusual or allergic reaction to brompheniramine, pseudoephedrine, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take this medicine by mouth. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Use a specially marked spoon or dropper to measure your medicine. Household spoons are not accurate. Take this medicine with food or milk if it upsets your stomach. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 1 month old for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
Patients over 60 years old may have a stronger reaction to this medicine and need smaller doses.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- some medicines for migraine headaches
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- barbiturates like phenobarbital
- medicines for blood pressure
- medicines for chest pain, heart disease, high blood pressure or heart rhythm problems
- medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
- medicines for sleep
- other medicines for cold, cough or allergy
- some herbal or nutritional supplements
- some medicines for Parkinson's disease
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Tell your doctor or healthcare professional if your symptoms do not start to get better or if they get worse. If you have trouble falling asleep at night, take the last dose of the day at least a few hours before bedtime.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. To reduce the risk of dizzy or fainting spells, do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. Alcohol may increase dizziness and drowsiness. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- feeling faint or lightheaded, falls
- high blood pressure
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- anxiety, excitement, irritability, nervousness
- loss of appetite
- stomach upset, nausea
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.