Drugs A - Z
Amoxicillin Trihydrate Oral capsule, Clarithromycin Oral tablet, Lansoprazole Oral capsule, gastro-resistant sprinkles
Generic Name: amoxicillin/clarithromycin/lansoprazole | Brand Name: Prevpac
Brand Names: Prevpac
What is this medicine?AMOXICILLIN; CLARITHROMYCIN; LANSOPRAZOLE (a mox i SIL in; kla RITH roe mye sin; lan SOE pra zole) is a combination of three medicines used to treat ulcers associated with a bacterial infection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- any chronic illness
- kidney disease
- liver disease
- an unusual or allergic reaction to amoxicillin, clarithromycin, lansoprazole, other antibiotics, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?Take these medicines by mouth with a full glass of water. Each dose should be taken twice per day before eating. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Do not crush or chew. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not skip doses or stop your medicine early even if you feel better. Do not stop taking except on your doctor's advice.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
What may interact with this medicine?Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- dihydroergotamine, ergotamine
- quinolone antibiotics like gatifloxacin, grepafloxacin, sparfloxacin
- some heart medicines like amiodarone, bepridil, dofetilide, droperidol, flecainide, ibutiline, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol
- some medicines for cholesterol like cerivastatin, lovastatin, simvastatin
- medicines for depression, sleep, or psychotic disturbances
- red yeast rice
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- female hormones, like estrogens or progestins and birth control pills
- iron supplements
- itraconazole, ketoconazole
- other antibiotics
- some medicines for HIV-infection or AIDS
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular check ups. Tell your doctor or if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Call your doctor as soon as you can if you get a fever, watery diarrhea, stomach pain, or vomiting. These could be symptoms of a more serious illness. Do not treat yourself. Call your doctor for advice.
Birth control pills may not work properly while you are taking this medicine. Talk to your doctor about using an extra method of birth control.
If you are diabetic you may get a false-positive result for sugar in your urine. Talk to your health care provider.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- bone, muscle or joint pain
- breathing problems
- dizzy, confused
- fever, chills
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- stomach pain, cramps
- trouble passing urine or change in the amount of urine
- unusual bleeding, bruising
- unusually weak or tired
- vaginal itching, discharge
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- dry mouth, thirst
- loss of appetite
- stomach upset, nausea
- unusual taste
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.