Drugs A - Z
Alprostadil Urethral suppository
Generic Name: alprostadil | Brand Name: Caverject
What is this medicine?ALPROSTADIL (al PROS ta dil) is a natural protein. It is used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED). This medicine helps to create and maintain an erection.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have, or have had any of these conditions:
- an abnormally formed penis
- have been advised not to engage in sexual activity
- penile implant
- sickle cell disease or trait
- tumor of the bone marrow (multiple myeloma)
- an unusual or allergic reaction to alprostadil or other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- if your partner is pregnant or intends to become pregnant
How should I use this medicine?This medicine is for insertion into the penis. Follow the directions that come with your medicine. If you are unsure how to use this medicine, contact your doctor or health care professional. Do not change the dose of your medicine. Call your doctor or health care professional to determine if your dose needs to be changed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- medicines for blood pressure
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Contact your doctor or health care professional immediately if the erection lasts longer than 4 hours or if it becomes painful. This must be treated right away to prevent permanent damage.
If you are not using a condom, your partner may experience mild vaginal itching or burning. If your partner is pregnant, you should use a condom during sexual intercourse because this medicine has not been tested during human pregnancy.
This medicine does not protect you or your partner against HIV infection (the virus that causes AIDS) or other sexually transmitted diseases.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- prolonged or painful erection (lasting longer than 4 hours)
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- aching in the penis, testicles, legs, and in the perineum (area between the penis and rectum)
- dizziness or light-headedness
- rapid pulse
- redness of the penis
- urethral bleeding or spotting due to improper use
- warmth or burning sensation in the urethra
Where should I keep my medicine?Keep out of reach of children.
Store unopened pouches in a refrigerator between 2 and 8 degrees C (36 and 46 degrees F). You may store this medicine at room temperature for up to 14 days before use. Do not expose to temperatures above 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.