Drugs A - Z
Abciximab (Murine) Solution for injection
Generic Name: abciximab
Brand Names: Reopro
What is this medicine?ABCIXIMAB (ab SIX i mab) prevents blood clots during episodes of chest pain or a heart attack. It may be used during heart surgery.
What should I tell my health care provider before I take this medicine?They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bleeding problems or blood disorders
- brain tumor or aneurysm
- high blood pressure
- previous stroke
- recent injury or surgery
- took a drug to prevent blood clots like warfarin in the past week
- an unusual or allergic reaction to abciximab, mouse or human proteins, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
How should I use this medicine?The medicine is for injection or infusion into a vein. It is given by a health care professional in a hospital or clinic setting.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
What if I miss a dose?This does not apply.
What may interact with this medicine?
- aspirin and aspirin-like drugs
- herbal products containing feverfew, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, or horse chestnut
- medicines that break up blood clots like alteplase, reteplase, streptokinase, and urokinase
- medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, dalteparin, tinzaparin, argatroban, bivalirudin, and lepirudin
- NSAIDs, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
What should I watch for while using this medicine?Your condition will be monitored carefully while you are receiving this medicine.
What side effects may I notice from receiving this medicine?Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain
- unusual bleeding or bruising
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- back pain
- stomach pain
Where should I keep my medicine?This drug is given in a hospital or clinic and will not be stored at home.
Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.