Highlights for ziprasidone
ziprasidone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- change in emotion or behavior such as feeling depressed, angry, or anxious
- chest pain
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty swallowing
- excessive thirst and/or hunger
- fast or irregular heartbeat or palpitations
- fever or chills, sore throat
- frequently needing to urinate
- inability to control muscle movements in the face, hands, arms, or legs
- loss of balance or difficulty walking
- lump or swelling on the neck
- prolonged erection
- redness, blistering, peeling or loosening of the skin, including inside the mouth
- stiff muscles or jaw
- uncontrollable movements or spasms of the face, tongue or mouth
- weakness or loss of strength
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- nausea or vomiting
- upset stomach
ziprasidone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- arsenic trioxide
- certain antibiotics like clarithromycin, erythromycin, gatifloxacin, grepafloxacin, levofloxacin, moxifloxacin, pentamidine, sparfloxacin, telithromycin, troleandomycin
- certain medicines for depression
- certain medicines for fungal infections like fluconazole, itraconazole, ketoconazole, posaconazole, voriconazole
- certain medicines for irregular heart beat like amiodarone, dofetilide, dronedarone, flecainide, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol
- other medicines that prolong the QT interval (cause an abnormal heart rhythm)
- phenothiazines like chlorpromazine, mesoridazine, thioridazine
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- certain medicines for blood pressure
- certain medicines for Parkinson's disease
- stimulant medicines for attention disorders, weight loss, or to stay awake like amphetamine, dextroamphetamine
How to Use ziprasidone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take with food. Take your doses at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking except on the advice of your doctor or health care professional.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. Special care may be needed.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- diabetes or high blood sugar
- heart disease, including heart failure
- irregular heartbeat
- liver disease
- low potassium level in the blood
- Parkinson's disease or other movement disorders
- previous heart attack or stroke
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to ziprasidone, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. It may be several weeks before you see the full effects of this medicine. Do not suddenly stop taking this medicine. Your doctor may want you to gradually reduce the dose.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this drug affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol can make you more drowsy and dizzy. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
This medicine can make you more sensitive to the sun. Keep out of the sun. If you cannot avoid being in the sun, wear protective clothing and use sunscreen. Do not use sun lamps or tanning beds/booths.
This medicine can reduce the response of your body to heat or cold. Dress warm in cold weather and stay hydrated in hot weather. If possible, avoid extreme temperatures like saunas, hot tubs, very hot or cold showers, or activities that can cause dehydration such as vigorous exercise.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
ziprasidone, McKesson Packaging, 40mg
ziprasidone, Greenstone Ltd, 80mg
ziprasidone, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, a Harvard Drug Group Company, 40mg
ziprasidone, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 40mg
ziprasidone, McKesson Packaging, 60mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Institutional LLC, 60mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 60mg
ziprasidone, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, a Harvard Drug Group Company, 60mg
ziprasidone, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 60mg
ziprasidone, McKesson Packaging, 80mg
ziprasidone, Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 80mg
ziprasidone, American Health Packaging, 80mg
ziprasidone, BluePoint Laboratories, 80mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Institutional LLC, 80mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 80mg
ziprasidone, American Health Packaging, 80mg
ziprasidone, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, a Harvard Drug Group Company, 80mg
ziprasidone, Apotex Corp, 80mg
ziprasidone, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 80mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Institutional LLC, 40mg
ziprasidone, Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc., 20mg
ziprasidone, Major Pharmaceuticals Inc, a Harvard Drug Group Company, 20mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 20mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Institutional LLC, 20mg
ziprasidone, American Health Packaging, 20mg
ziprasidone, Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 20mg
ziprasidone, BluePoint Laboratories, 20mg
ziprasidone, Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., 40mg
How Much Does ziprasidone Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for ziprasidone
Last Updated: August 31, 2015