Highlights for zafirlukast
zafirlukast Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash or hives, or swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- breathing problems
- chest pain or irregular heartbeat
- dark urine
- general ill feeling or flu-like symptoms
- light-colored stools
- loss of appetite, nausea
- pain and swelling of your sinuses
- right upper belly pain
- pain, tingling, numbness in the hands or feet
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- unusually weak or tired
- yellowing of the skin or eyes
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
- bleeding or bruising
- stomach upset
- trouble sleeping
zafirlukast May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- erythromycin or clarithromycin
- medicines for lowering heart rate or blood pressure like diltiazem, felodipine, nifedipine, quinidine, or verapamil
How to Use zafirlukast
Take this medicine by mouth on an empty stomach, at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Talk to your pediatrician regarding the use of this medicine in children. While this drug may be prescribed for children as young as 5 years of age for selected conditions, precautions do apply.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- Churg-Strauss syndrome
- liver disease
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt; a previous suicide attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to zafirlukast, other medicines, foods, dyes, or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for the next dose, skip the previous dose. Do not use double or extra doses.
Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Let them know if your symptoms do not improve. Take your medicine even when you do not have symptoms.
Talk to your doctor about what to do in an acute asthma attack. Always have your inhaled rescue medicine for asthma attacks with you.
Patients and their families should watch for new or worsening thoughts of suicide or depression. Also watch for sudden changes in feelings such as feeling anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive, impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. Any worsening of mood or thoughts of suicide or dying should be reported to your health care professional right away.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 20 and 25 degrees C (68 and 77 degrees F). Do not freeze. Protect from light and moisture. Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
What does the pill look like?
How Much Does zafirlukast Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for zafirlukast
Last Updated: January 7, 2014