Highlights for vilazodone
vilazodone Side Effects
Side effects that you should report to your doctor or health care professional as soon as possible:
- allergic reactions like skin rash, itching or hives, swelling of the face, lips, or tongue
- fast, irregular heartbeat
- suicidal thoughts or other mood changes
- unusual bleeding or bruising
Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (Report these to your doctor or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome.):
- change in sex drive or performance
- dry mouth
- increased sweating
vilazodone May Interact with Other Medications
Do not take this medicine with any of the following medications:
- MAOIs like Carbex, Eldepryl, Marplan, Nardil, and Parnate
- methylene blue (injected into a vein)
St. John's wort
This medicine may also interact with the following medications:
- aspirin and aspirin-like medicines
- certain diet drugs like dexfenfluramine, fenfluramine, phentermine, sibutramine
- certain migraine headache medicines like almotriptan, eletriptan, frovatriptan, naratriptan, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, zolmitriptan
- certain medicines that treat or prevent blood clots like warfarin, enoxaparin, and dalteparin
- NSAIDS, medicines for pain and inflammation, like ibuprofen or naproxen
- other medicines for depression, anxiety, or psychotic disturbances
How to Use vilazodone
Take this medicine by mouth with a glass of water. Follow the directions on the prescription label. Take this medicine with food. Take your medicine at regular intervals. Do not take your medicine more often than directed. Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly except upon the advice of your doctor. Stopping this medicine too quickly may cause serious side effects or your condition may worsen.
A special MedGuide will be given to you by the pharmacist with each prescription and refill. Be sure to read this information carefully each time.
They need to know if you have any of these conditions:
- bipolar disorder or a family history of bipolar disorder
- liver disease
- low levels of sodium in the blood
- receiving electroconvulsive therapy
- seizures (convulsions)
- suicidal thoughts, plans, or attempt by you or a family member
- an unusual or allergic reaction to vilazodone, other medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives
- pregnant or trying to get pregnant
If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, take only that dose. Do not take double or extra doses.
Tell your doctor if your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse. Visit your doctor or health care professional for regular checks on your progress. Because it may take several weeks to see the full effects of this medicine, it is important to continue your treatment as prescribed by your doctor.
Patients and their families should watch out for new or worsening thoughts of suicide or depression. Also watch out for sudden changes in feelings such as feeling anxious, agitated, panicky, irritable, hostile, aggressive, impulsive, severely restless, overly excited and hyperactive, or not being able to sleep. If this happens, especially at the beginning of treatment or after a change in dose, call your health care professional.
You may get drowsy or dizzy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do anything that needs mental alertness until you know how this medicine affects you. Do not stand or sit up quickly, especially if you are an older patient. This reduces the risk of dizzy or fainting spells. Alcohol may interfere with the effect of this medicine. Avoid alcoholic drinks.
Your mouth may get dry. Chewing sugarless gum or sucking hard candy, and drinking plenty of water may help. Contact your doctor if the problem does not go away or is severe.
Keep out of the reach of children.
Store at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 to 86 degrees F). Throw away any unused medicine after the expiration date.
How Much Does vilazodone Cost?
We've partnered with GoodRx so you can compare prices, find discounts and save up to 80% on your next prescription. Check out the low coupon prices below — no insurance required.
Compare prices and save up to 80% on your next refill!
Lowest price for vilazodone
Last Updated: July 11, 2014